Creating reports for developers was a traditional wizard walk-through activity for a CRM application with very minimum of flexibility. But with Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 there are loads of customization features and flexibility in creating reports.
Follow the step-by-step procedure below to create a custom report using Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011.
Before you start customization of reports
- Install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 or 2008 R2 Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS)
- Install Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Online account
- Install Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 BIDS Fetch Extension
The customization is done in two parts
- Setting up a Microsoft CRM 2011 FetchXML Custom Report development environment
- Creating a Microsoft CRM 2011 FetchXML Report
Setting up a Microsoft CRM 2011 FetchXML Custom Report development environment
- Setup a PC with Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit)/ Vista/ Windows Server 2008/ Windows Server 2008 R2
- Install the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 or the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 BIDS feature.
- Install the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Fetch Extension
- Run the CRM2011-BIDSExtensions-ENU-i386.exe.
Creating a Microsoft CRM 2011 FetchXML Report
To create a report, open the Microsoft SQL Server BIDS and follow the steps below:
- Create a new project.
- From the templates, select the Report Server Project. Provide a title to the project and location where the project would be saved.
- A Report folder should be available in the project folder. Select the Report folder to right-click and select Add New Report.
- The HomeRealmURL is optional. It will be a registry value from HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRMBidsExtensions\HomeRealmUrl
- Click Credentials to fill in your credentials, which would be your Windows LiveID and password that you use to login to CRM online account. Click Next.
- The wizard will prompt for a FetchXML type query, if you login successfully.
- Using CRM online web client and creating an Advanced Find query you can find a FetchXML query.
- Click Edit Columns to select the data that should appear in the report.
- Click Download Fetch XML to view the xml file with the query.
- Follow the wizard to customize the look and feel of the report.
- You can preview the report using Preview tab before uploading. The benefits of creating a report using this procedure is that you can edit the report using the Design tab in Visual Studio.
- The report generated would be an .RDL file, which needs to be uploaded into the CRM environment
- Open the web client and map to Reports, which can be located under Workplace section. Click New at the top left to create a new report.
- Select Existing File as the Report Type and enable the File Location.
- Locate and upload the .RDL file created by project.
- The report creation is completed and also has been uploaded to the CRM. Click Save and View the created report.