For those creative ones who would love to have their own font styles, getting it done your way could take time. However, with the new Illustrator plugin FontSelf, you can get your preferred personalized font style in minutes. Sounds great? Read on to find out more on FontSelf and how simple it really is.
What is FontSelf Maker?
FontSelf Maker is an extension for Illustrator and Photoshop CC which helps you turn any lettering into Opentype fonts in a short time of a few minutes. It could be used both on Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. All you need to do is follow some simple steps. At the end of it, you would have created some professional fonts which are great for education, designers, artists and is used worldwide.
What are the features of FontSelf?
- With FontSelf, you can convert any shape into a character. Convert any shape into a character.
- Drag & drop create fonts in seconds
- Get Color fonts, Alternates, and Ligatures of your choice.
- You don’t have to mess with font files but just use 2 lines of code in your HTML.
- Run on both Mac & PC
- With their FontSelf Catapult which is a companion service of FontSelf Maker, you
- Serve color fonts to compatible browsers like Firefox, Edge etc.
- You can preview fonts on any website via a browser extension
- Use them on mobile via a dedicated app
- Import Kerning & Spacing metrics
Why should you choose FontSelf over others?
With FontSelf Maker, you can drag-and-drop to convert any shape into a character:
- You don’t need to drag just a single glyph at a time – you can drag a whole selection.
- You can now easily turn your own lettering into actual fonts in a few simple steps.
- There are plenty of in-depth tutorials and guides on how to create your own font.
- FontSelf is extremely easy to use and even very beginners can do justice to the standard font creation process.
- The new font is available to any application.
- Once you create your own font, you have the possibility of monetizing it.
- The app is great if you’re looking for a quick font fix.
- The documentation is comprehensive and easily understandable, and their support team and reasonably quick to respond.
- You can export the font and FontSelf will create an OTF file which you can install on your computer.
- It is an Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop plug-in that slots seamlessly into document panels and is not a stand-alone app.
- With FontSelf, you can cut out half of the files and many of the copy/paste steps
- It runs on both Mac and PC.
- You can install, save or export the font.
How to create a font using Adobe Illustrator and FontSelf for PhotoShop?
Make a typeface in any sketchbook, dotted notebooks are preferred. You can then Set up your document in Illustrator
Construct your letterforms A—Z & 0—9 and make changes till it’s perfect. It’s time to make the switch from Illustrator and then set up your Photoshop Document.
Bring in each character individually by copying it from your Illustrator document and paste it as a smart object. Now FontSelf will work its magic.
Once all the characters are in, you have to give all the important font Information and hit ‘Export’.
The font file will be updated in the Photoshop font list and it takes time as it is a big fie. Once installed, you are ready and its time to enjoy using your new font.
They do not have a trial version and all future updates are free of cost. FontSelf runs on all latest CC versions like CC 2015.3, CC 2017, CC 2018 and CC 2019. You can the extension on a Mac & a PC? with a maximum limit of 2 devices.
You can simply contact them by email at [email protected] You can also chat with them by clicking a chat bubble on their home page and getting your queries answered. They also have a FontSelf community where users help each other in troubleshooting and clarifying doubts.
Feel free to contact them at [email protected]
Conclusion – Should you go for FontSelf?
We loved how we could generate fonts from glyphs in minutes with minimum hassles. Some improvements are yet to be done like setting custom kerning pairs, but hopefully, the shortcomings will be rectified when they update. FontSelf Maker offers a fast, easy way to generate fonts from individual glyphs, right inside Illustrator CC. One of the best-suited plugins for creating fonts of icons or symbols!